Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's Not So Good To Be Green

So the other day I read this article about Robert Green. Apparently he is considering international retirement. This would make him the third English goalkeeper (that is still playing) to make this move, after Paul Robinson and Ben Foster did the same. Other players such as Jamie Carragher and Paul Scholes have also taken similar steps away from international football, and this latest one has got me thinking - what has happened to good, lionhearted patriotism?

I'm beginning to realise just how much I refer to David Beckham in this blog, but to quote the great man's agent, "he will always be available for his country, when fit and if needed, he will be there." Now that's what I call duty to a cause. Now 36, he is no spring chicken, but if he were to be called up, he would be there in a heart beat.

From what I understand, most of the aforementioned players announced their international retirement due to a lack of opportunities...so really international retirement is the new way to save the embarrassment of not being picked for the first team. This is also being cited as Robert Green's excuse.

So not enough opportunities, eh Rob? O.K. then, let's take a look at the last time an English manager let you play...




I know, I know, it was just one mistake - in the opening game of the World Cup - perhaps we should just forgive and forget. So let's take a look at his club form for West Ham...who just got relegated...this is awkward...

Maybe he's right, he should definitely be England's first choice goalkeeper.

2 comments:

  1. i remember that terrible moment. goalkeepers seem to be a re-occuring weakness in the english line up. p.s. while scholes is my favorite ginger on the pitch, he is getting a little old isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, I actually should have mentioned that I don't mind Scholes retiring, as he is pretty ancient. But then...so is David Beckham...it's almost as though it's an issue of "I'll leave before you kick me out". I guess Alan Shearer did that too...but everyone knows it was time for him to leave!

    ReplyDelete